SO this weekend I got a cell phone on friday (call me in Ecuador- 09-5875545) and started work. We went to a waterpark in the middle of the Andes on Thursday with all the kids. I got assigned to help the 3rd graders. My kids are really cute but definitely need a lot of attention and fight a lot. Litterally I am breaking up fistfights 2 or 3 times a day. For the most part my days are low key, I wake up at 7am, eat breakfast around 7:10 get ready for work at 8am. WOrk till 1pm grading papers, helping the kids with their exams (its the end of the semester still) and playing with them.. My spanish is still coming along and I find myself speaking in Italian on accident more often then I would like.
I am still getting used to how cheap everything is, my host mom told us never to pay more than 2 bucks for a cab or else we're being ripped off! Meals for lunch can cost as little as 1.10 for 2 courses bottled water and juice! Though I know I will soon be quite sick of rice (as it is served with EVERY meal minus breakfast) I am really enjoying the food! Lots of meet and potatoes actually and always soup to start off with!
On Friday we hit up the Mariscal neighborhood or Gringolanda (Gringo land) where most of the bars and clubs are in town. We went salsa dancing and met up with this girl who studied in Quito last fall and came back to work this summer who has lots of awesome friends here. We got ripped of at one club but otherwise the night was spent enjoying the national beer (Pilsner) 3 x 18oz for 2.50!
Saturday we caught the 2 dollar bus with my friends Dylan and Marissa with their host mom to a town called Cotacachi which has the cheapest leather goods I have EVER seen, then Otovalo famous for its indigenous market at which I bought lots of nice gifts for some of you! Then to Cayambe in which their host mom's family owns a night club! We're going back this weekend for a huge festival they have! Sunday was relaxed we read and studied. Today in the morning I worked and now am going exploring!
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
amelia hopefully this gets to you
alittle hard
Was glad to hear from you and that you are well and having a good time
Can we write you on your my face or at your cu address
Amom
Hi - its Dad!
Its the end of the quarter, so its been busy here at IBM. Sorry I missed you yesterday! I'm loving your BLOG... very fun. I will email the family and let them know that you can "comment" on it. (Who knew??)
Love ya!
- Dad
AMELIA -- sounds like too much fun. gringolandia are you kidding...haha. i'm glad you are liking it and breaking up children fighting, not a good habit as a 3rd grader. enjoy everyday there!
the teahouse is mellow, went out with reid, mauricio and vanessa and some others on my bday, it was a blast. and now i'm at my other job, just researching travel and dreaming as i go.
love ya, sending a hug
emma
Hi Amelia from the People's Republic of Boulder, AKA Rick and Patricia, Italian, Spanish, English, where will it end, French? I here they make very good leather clothing down there, you should shop some pants ;) Is the tequila any good? Bring back some equators, please. Have fun, wash your hands and all that good stuff, see you when you get back.
Post a Comment