Thursday, June 19, 2008

Quito!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I have much to tell-

After my post previously, I chatted with Mario and went to bed. There was an intense fan war with people turning it on and off all night (it was loud and yet also hot) with 10 people sharing a room we were indecisive. (I slept and didn´t participate)

The next morning I woke up and met a girl in a bed near by from Holland. She was really sweet and we walked around the neighborhood and found a place for breakfast. She told me about how she just graduated and had been backpacking alone through central america for 3 months! Great stories. Interesting breakfast, I stupidly drank the water given to me in a glass but didn´t get sick (yay). We headed back to the hostel and went our ways I went to check email. While checking I heard an American boy asking the woman at the main desk to call him a cab in spanish. I asked him if he wanted to split the cost and we shared the ride. We happened to be on the same flight and sat next to each other all the way to Quito. It was most definitely an enjoyable expericence and we shared some great stories and he even bummed (payed for) a ride from my director and host mom when we arrived in Quito.

In quito-

Once I arrived I was greated by a balloon, my director, my host mom, and the directors daughter´. We got in her car and drove around, dropping off Mike (my travel partner) and then off to my new home. Mercedes my host mom is the SWEETEST woman, probably ever. I was shown my room and met my roommates. Two girls, Georgia and Alyse, 18 and 19 from St Louis working with me and another Lindsey, 18, from Florida. We all work together at Remar (the Orphanage) That night we went out and met the other girls (not many guys working here) at a cute bar in a part of town called Gringolanda... haha.
The next day I met the rest of the new volunteers about 10 total spread out all over the city doing all sorts of things. We had a tour with our disorganized swindler of a tour guide (he´s a little shady but nice) we rode the TelleferiQa (i believe that´s how it´s spelled) basically a gondola that takes you up to one of the highest overlooks of Quito near Pinchicha the active volcano. We hiked up to almost the top and it was breathtaking (will post photos soon).
Then we went to buy tickets to the game yesterday, sat in line of hours and finally got them. We all bought tees so we´d be ready.
Yesterday morning me and another late comer (tours started when I was in Panama) got the end of our tour at the Basilica/main cathedral in town. It´s also amazing with views of Quito... it is GIGANTIC! (will also post those)
After the Basilica we went to wait in line for the game got all decked out and stood in line forever! We finally got in, and after over 5 hours waiting in line (over two days), 3 hours of rain (during the game and before), we were drenched and yelling Ecuadorian cheers at the game Ecuador verses Colombia a world cup qualifier (there was a tie). It was AMAZING!!!! Seriouslly a blast even though we were soaked at the end.

Today I woke up early (like every day here) and went to Remar. School is ending and so the kids all got to go to a water park! It was about an hour drive through the Andes and the countryside of Ecuador to this isolated water park in the middle of the Andes! Crazy! It was awesome the children are adorable and I´m really excited. I´m in a 3rd grade class and got to hang with my kids today at the pool.. I got a little burned but overall it was fun and exhausting. After we had a big late lunch and then came down to the center of town to use the internet at this really nice cafe. I will update with more and photos soon!

No comments: