This week has been going well. My brain is constantly being drained thinking in 3 languages. English most naturally and comfortably but then wanting to speak in Italian, trying to speak in spanish... it's quite the challenge. I have been meeting the most interesting people. For example last night alone I met two guys from the Coast who are in Quito part time. One works at the Galapagos and might be able to hook me up if I want to go. Then we met two American guys last night when we were out in town. They both have been living in Colombia teaching for the past 3 years and I'm most likely going to stay in their spare beachside appartment in the Northern coast in August. We'll see. The night before I was drinking some wine with two great girls I met here Dylan and Kendra when Kendra's friends joined us. One who is Ecuadorian but grew up in the US, and the other who is half Colombian half Italian who speaks fluent Italian, Spanish and English but grew up in Switzerland! Good times...
Yesterday we went to pick up the bus. Georgia, my American roommate raised about $4,000 before arriving (I'm a slacker) and bought a bus here that she's going to donate to transport disabled kids to school. We spent 4 hours picking the bus up with our director Marianna, which like always, took way too long and was way to difficult. It was quite the experience, so much so that I really enjoyed it all, even the frustrating parts.
Today work went well, I'm helping make a flyer for the school to pass around to help raise money. My class is adorable, yet difficult as usual. The langauge barrier ( I understand them then struggle answering) is still problematic. I'm looking into private lessons or classes here (they're like $5dollars for a one on one tutor).
We have a 4 day weekend so tonight after we go into town to watch to game (Ecuador, Brazil) we're leaving for the coast to drop the bus off. It's a 8-9 hour drive which we'll do ALL night. Then be near the coast all day tomorrow to drop the bus off and see the city and school. We get back either Thursday night or Friday morning. We'll hang in the city then take off for the North. We're going to Cayambe for a huge indigenous festival this weekend. I'll be back on Sunday when Jessica V., friend from the Tea House, is in Quito that night and I'm hoping to meet up for dinner!
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is Aunt Jane-your adventures sound so exciting. I will be following your blog faithfully. Stay safe. love, aj
amelia
hope to hear from you soonthat your weekend was good.
By the way is there any small items or light weigth items we might be able to collect and send.
Mom
Post a Comment