I have started! We are painting a mural on one of the blank walls on the exterior of the orphanage. It is a scenic view of the mountains of Quito with the famous statue (the virgin mary) on one end near the church entrance then a row of kids holding hands infront. Above them in the sky is a bible quote that kids say before eating every day. (the nuns asked for it!) I will post pics.
Sadly, while I was sketching out the mural my journal was sitting open with my prelimiary sketch and someone stole it. The whole journal filled with personal notes, spanish words to remember, addresses, pictures of my family etc... So, the first thing I've ever gotten stolen while abroad just happens to be the most sentimental item I have here. I am hoping is was some kid who walked by and that it will be there this afternoon when I go back after lunch, it´s not valuable.
Otherwise, this weekend was relaxing. I spent Saturday with Dylan having ¨"una dia de la cultura" (day of culture) going to museums and a contemporary art exhibit, looking at the artisan market, and eating out in Quito. It was lovely. ALso, let me know if you have any movies you want me to buy... they sell them everywhere here (mostly pirated) but usually for around a dollar each! I bought and watched Persepolis!
I haven't moved out of my house, it is nice having it to myself! I get to chat with Mercedes in spanish at meals and then have good private time when i want! I'm planning on staying for the next two weeks while I'm still a volunteer then after that travelling around or living with my friends here who have an apartment.
Trying to plan a trip to the beach this weekend! Thinking about heading north to Esmereldas to a town called Atacames! It's supposed to be a great beach! Still looking into Colombia for a few weeks from now! Vamos aver!
¡Ciao!
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
amelia
Sorry about the journal
maybe put up a note asking for it's return and a small reward. just a thought
We are starting to pack for our 4 day packbacking trip mon-weds next week.
Ellie has to be pack for work so we will head back on Thurs then pick angie up and head to my friends cabin
by grand lake with angie and mitch for a few days hopefully ellie will come up on Sunday maybe get a boat on monday then head home.
I'll have Mitch and angie send you a note this afternoon
MOM
woah man, don't get too much r&r haha, sounds like you are doing lots of fun exploring - and comendable work i might say. i jsut found a place for next semester (well more like 2 weeks from now) and last weekend i hiked my first 14er- yeah! patrick, rolando and i summited mt. plata, maybe i hsould start writing to you in spanish...how do you feel about that? ok well i'm kinda living the daily grind in boulder...school and work everyday. i stopped at the teahouse for now, but i'm sure i'll be back. anyway keep us posted, haha get it, i'm so techy. ok te mando un beso mi amor
emma
Post a Comment